Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Bit of Progress

Yesterday we received a fancy looking letter in the mail from the Department of Homeland Security- Our I600 is approved! The I600 is our "petition to classify orphan as an immediate relative" so that means the U.S. government now recognizes Roland as our family. Having an approved I600 is required to be able to apply for a visa when the time comes. This is a big, important step in the adoption process and I should be happy. But, this is my blog so I will be honest- I am not happy. I am sad that this one piece of paper came a few weeks too late and now I may not be able to meet my son for another half a year. I am sad that there is a large group of families from my agency preparing to travel to Congo very soon and I will be left behind. I am sad that the last 4th of July I thought would be my last without my baby and here is yet another one to celebrate with an incomplete family. The wait is hard, but at least things keep moving forward and nothing too disastrous has happened yet. All in all we have had a fairly smooth adoption so far. I know of families who lost referrals late in the process and others have had children die before and after bringing them home. I am really trying to be grateful that we are still making progress and, as far as we know, Roland is safe and healthy enough. Have a fun and safe Independence Day everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment