Monday, January 21, 2013

To Honor Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

This holiday has more meaning to me this year since my son will be African- American. The way people view him and the way he views the world will be different from my experiences. This will be for many reasons (gender, early childhood spent in orphanage rather than a family, growing up in a tiny town in Idaho rather than the suburbs of Miami, etc.), with his ethnicity probably not being the least of these. I have listed some quotes by Martin Luther King, Jr. that I found inspiring and thought- provoking and I hope they are for you also.


"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."


"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."


"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

 




No comments:

Post a Comment